Interior decoration course – yes, the good news is that you can learn it online now.
Interior designers are superbly creative people who are employed or hired for creating or remodeling domestic and commercial spaces as per the client’s requirements. For this, there is an immense need to have a total grasp on different concepts related to light, space, color, balance. It involves an ability to incorporate various materials and décor that are needed for the right outcome.
Students who wish to study interior decoration can attend institutes or colleges offering the degree. However, others can learn online as there are several institutes and colleges offering the course.
Students who wish to learn online can choose:
- Certificate course in interior decoration
- Diploma in interior decoration
- Degree in interior decoration
What do students learn?
Interior decoration courses cover a wide range of topics and subjects related to designing. The courses offer a total overview of interior designing as a discipline.
Students study designing principles, space management, color coordination, use of textures and surfaces, they work with textiles, accessories, learn how to select furniture, and work within a budget.
What do Students learn in Interior Decoration Course Online?
- They learn how to apply their skills to design and how to decorate small and large spaces.
- How to use designs like a professional.
- They are taught how to explain their work to their clients, provide an overview of their work and convince their clients.
- Students like how to outline the various processes of pricing. They learn how to develop and maintain contracts.
- They learn about purchasing and scheduling tasks.
- Students learn basics of lights, how to work with lights and color theory.
- They understand techniques of window decoration and wall treatments
- Finally they learn how to give their final presentation of the decoration scheme.
What are the certificate courses in Interior designing?
These are generally in the form of short programs which offer courses in a specific subject. These are generally of two to four semesters. Also, many certificate courses are available of shorter duration and tend to be about one subject only.
What are the different classes you need to take to become an interior designer?
Any student takes classes in different subjects and concepts that include:
- Bathroom and kitchen designing
- Conceptual designing
- Architectural graphics
- Model making
- Interior materials
- Design textiles
How do you become an interior decorator?
If you are planning a career as an interior decorator, you need to first understand what the career is and what you need to do! Is it something that you would like to do in the long run?
There are many youngsters who pursue interior decoration courses because they feel it’s great. But, once they start learning, they start getting bored.
Here are the steps to become a successful interior decorator:
1: Learn more about the profession. What does an interior decorator do, job description, experience, work scope, income, challenges and more?
2: Complete your course honestly. Try to gain a lot of knowledge during your internship period.
3: Start working to gain experience.
4: As you work, start building your portfolio so that you can show clients the kind of work you do.
5: Put in a little effort and time to build your network and connections. You will need references and recommendations to start your work independently.
6: Keep updating your skills regularly. Trends change daily and customer preferences are something that you need to keep in track.
7: Learn Computer-aided designing or CAD
How Do I Become an Interior Decorator For Free?
If you wish to become an interior decorator free and you do not want to spend money attending classes, there are a few online courses that can help you.
Here are some of the options you can try:
- Free Interior Design Classes Online (Skillshare) …
- Best Free Interior Design Courses (Udemy) …
- Free Interior Design Classes & Courses (LinkedIn Learning – Lynda) …
- Oxford Home Study
- Alison Diploma in Interior Design. …
- MIT OpenCourseWare
Top 5 Interior Designing Courses:
- The Interior Design Institute
- Udemy Interior Design Courses
- Lynda Interior Design and Visualization Courses
- New York School of Interior Design
- National Design Academy
What are the skills needed to become an Interior Decorator?
The art of interior decoration is about creativity and talent. It’s how well one can combine the aesthetics to meet client expectations within a budget.
Here are some of the many skills required to be an interior decorator?
- Creative eye
- Ability to identify trends
- Attention to minute details
- Ability to sketch
- Computer knowledge
- Basic interior designing knowledge
Is it Possible to Be an Interior Designer without a Degree?
There is no need to get a degree if you wish to be an interior decoration. But remember, additional knowledge, skill or learning can give a boost to your career. A designer who has a certificate or degree is certainly more skilled, knowledgeable, and with more confidence.
How hard is it To Study Interior Designing?
If you have an eye for detail, you are creative and you love designing, interior designing courses will not be difficult for you. You have to study hard, complete your internship on time and gain experience to become a successful interior designer.
How long is an Interior Design Course Online?
An interior designing course is self-paced. Students who choose to study online can enroll for courses that are of 24 weeks. These are usually of 4 to 6 hours duration.
Other Related Courses:
- Event Planning Courses
- Graphic Designing Courses
Recommended Read: Skills of a Salesman